Adding onto the outline you created in Module 2, submit a two- to three-page APA style literature review section on your selected personality theory, utilizing at least 5 academic sources from the NLU library. Your literature review should include details about the major tenets or concepts of your selected personality theory, criticisms of the theory, and advantages of the theory. In addition, as you search the literature, you will also want to keep in mind the topic you plan to apply it to – there may be existing research or literature that has applied your selected personality theory to a similar psychological phenomenon that you can draw upon. For example, if you selected “depression” as your topic and “humanistic theory” as your personality theory you would want to include articles related to humanistic theory and depression.
Effective Strategies for Literature Reviews: Utilize information from https://guides.library.vcu.edu/ld.php?content_id=1720467,https://writingcenter.unc.edu/tips-and-tools/literature-reviews/ and view this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70n2-gAp7J0 for help developing your literature review.
Searching the Literature: The most important step in doing the review is to consult the relevant databases (e.g., PsychINFO, Academic Search Complete). Your search will identify many articles. Based on the abstract of the article, you will be able to decide that many of them are not directly relevant. Locate and read the articles with abstracts that are promising. A good starting place is this NLU research guide for Psychology. This guide centralizes major resources in the field of psychology, including databases for searching journals articles, public web sites, and APA style:
- NLU. (2017, September 17). Welcome to the psychology guide [Web page]. Retrieved from http://libguides.nl.edu/psychology
Be sure you review recent multiple issues of major journals in the field of personality theory. This is the best way to locate the most recent articles. In social psychology, you will want to consult the following resources held by the NLU Library:
- European Journal of Personality: http://national.worldcat.org/oclc/525519940
- Journal of Personality: http://national.worldcat.org/oclc/316300377
- Journal of Personality Assessment: http://national.worldcat.org/oclc/41942820
- Journal of Personality and Social Psychology: http://national.worldcat.org/oclc/746945676
- Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin: http://national.worldcat.org/oclc/2878896
- Personality and Social Psychology Review: http://national.worldcat.org/oclc/45007180
Writing the Literature Review: Your review should summarize the literature on your topic. Concentrate on synthesizing or integrating some of the literature; that is, point out connections between different concepts, viewpoints, or research paradigms. You also need to evaluate the literature you discuss. What are the strengths and weaknesses of specific viewpoints or research paradigms? How does this recent literature extend our knowledge? What are the needed next steps for the field in developing theory or research in this area?
- Your assignment should be approximately 2-3 pages in length
- Your paper should include a thorough analysis, including reference list page, appendices, figures, or tables.
- Your assignment should include a title page and a reference list page, and be completed in Times New Roman 12-point font, double-spaced, with appropriate header, page numbers, one-inch margins, and meet all other