Research paper assignments : research papers examining and synthesizing one scientific psychology journal article of your choice. For each research article there must be 1-2 hypotheses, or 1-2 questions, in the scientific journal article. Use of magazine articles, newspaper articles, and websites will NOT be accepted.
While not a complete list, examples of professional and scientific psychology journal articles would be: Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Journal of Research in Personality, Journal of Neuroscience, Journal of Counseling Psychology, Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, Journal of Abnormal Psychology, Archives of General Psychiatry, Child Development, Child Psychology, Psychological Science, Applied Cognitive Psychology, Neuropsychology, Psychological Bulletin, Journal of Organizational Behavior, Health Psychology, Law and Human Behavior, Psychology, Public Policy and the Law, Psychology of Violence, Psychology of Women’s Quarterly, British Journal of Psychology, Journal of Positive Psychology, Psychological Science in the Public Interest, Psychology and Aging. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, Journal of Family Psychology, Journal of Educational Psychology, Sports, Exercise and Performance Psychology, Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, Addiction, etc.
The format should be in essay form addressing each of the questions below and be approximately 4-6 pages, double-spaced 1inch margins, using a standard font (e.g., Times New Roman, Arial, Cambria). You may use subheadings if it aids in the organization and flow of your paper. The article must be referenced at the end of your paper in American Psychological Association (APA) format (review format on line and or summary sheets posted on Blackboard). Note the questions below follow the general format of a research article (Introduction, Methods, Results, Limitations, Discussion/Conclusion, Reference).
The student is to answer the following questions from the journal article for both assignments:
- What is the topic of the journal article? Summarize briefly, highlighting the primary background literature summarized.
- What is the study’s purpose and rationale of exploring this topic?
- List the study’s hypotheses and questions being investigated.
- Who is the population? Who will be in the study? Why will they be in the study? How will they be selected for the study?
- How will the investigators attempt to answer the study hypotheses and or questions? What is the methodology? What will they do in the study?
- List the independent variables and be sure to address how these variables will be measured.
- List the dependent variables and be sure to address how these variables will be measured.
- What type of study was being conducted and why?
- What ethical issues might be important to consider?
- What were the results/findings of the study?
- What were the limitations to the study? Strengths and weaknesses of the study?
- What was discussed and addressed in the discussion section of the study? And
include the implications or value of the study.
- What is the current relevant application of the study; provide an example with the
relevant literature cited.
- How would you replicate the study to build on this knowledge? Or what related study
would you implement and how to build on this knowledge?
- Remember to include the article in APA reference format at end of your paper under
a Reference section.