Read “Elements of Architecture: The Greek Orders” on page 110 of the textbook. Choose an ancient Greek temple that appears in your book, or one you find online. This will be your good example of one
- Read “Elements of Architecture: The Greek Orders” on page 110 of the textbook.
- Choose an ancient Greek temple that appears in your book, or one you find online. This will be your good example of one of the Greek orders – Doric, Ionic or Corinthian.
- Find a building of a later date that borrows from that same architectural order. This comparison building may be found in a later chapter of your text, online, or perhaps in your home town. Note that the two images in this essay description illustrate how to choose your building. You may not use these examples in your essay.
- Include an image of each example in the essay. To find images, you can refer to Wikimedia Commons or our Excelsior Library’s image collection (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
When structuring your essay:
- Fully identify your ancient Greek temple example, noting whether it is Doric, Ionic or Corinthian. Using the diagram in the book to guide you, describe the elements of the order as illustrated by your example. You may want to describe it from the bottom up, using appropriate architectural terms. Your example may be ruinous, so describe what can be seen and suggest what might be missing.
- Continue the essay by introducing the later building. Fully identify it. In what ways does it follow the Greek order? Has the architect deviated from those strict Greek rules?
- Finally, why might the later architect have borrowed from Greek style? Was it part of a trend? Was the style used to convey a message?
Essay Writing Requirements:
- Two pages or 500+ words
- Follow the APA style.
- Proofread: Be sure to check your work and correct any spelling or grammatical errors before you post it.
- Submit the essay to the assignment dropbox.
- Tutoring help is available through Smarthinking (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
- Grammar assistance is available using the Online Writing Lab (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. (OWL).
- Submit the paper by the due date.