Before you begin this assignment, be sure you have
- Read the “UMUC Haircuts Case Study Stage 1, 2 & 3” & review “Walmart Example.”
- Review Instructor feedback from previous submissions.
Overview of Executive Briefing for UMUC Haircuts
For your Stage Case Study1, you identified a strategy for competitive advantageand a business process that you would improve through the application of technology to a business process for UMUC Haircuts.
For your Stage 2, you identified a proposed IT solution to improve that business process. Your research included planning for IT and business resources, identifying solution components, and identifying ways the new technology would improve the business process and support the strategy for competitive analysis. Modeling the AS IS and TO BE Processes helped identify the steps in the business process you are improving for UMUC Haircuts.
In Stage 3, you evaluated IT considerations as to their role and importance to the proposed IT solution to be implemented to improve the business process for UMUC Haircuts.
In Stage 4, you will prepare and present an Executive Briefing of your findings. This briefing will be presented to Myra Morningstar, the owner of UMUC Haircuts, to explain and provide the justification for her to implement your technology solution. For your executive briefing select the major components from each stage of the project to present. For purposes of this exercise you do not need to focus on the cost of the proposed solution, but rather focus on convincing her that your proposed solution will improve the operation of UMUC Haircuts – specifically the business process you selected for improvement – and help her achieve the selected strategy for competitive advantage.
Executive Briefing for UMUC Haircuts: Presentation. The table below explains how to incorporate information from the earlier stages into this Stage 4 Presentation.
|Title Slide||· Introduce the project, including appropriate information about the ‘who, what, when and why’|
|Stage One||· Identify the strategy for competitive advantage you selected for UMUC Haircuts· Identify the business process you selected to improve|
|Stage Two||· Identify the Solution you chose to improve the process and help UMUC Haircuts with their strategy for competitive advantage.· Address how the IT solution you proposed will improve the process.· Give an overview of IT solution components, IT skills, and business resources needed to implement the solution.· Explain the business benefits of the solution (benefits in addition to improving the process itself) and how the solution will help achieve the strategy for competitive advantage.|
|Stage Three||· Review the IT considerations you determined to be most important. This would include any consideration that has a High importance ranking. Select no more than five of the IT considerations that are the MOST important.|
|Other||· Identify at least three major risks associated with your proposed solution and what can be done to mitigate (prevent) them.· Summary/Conclusion and Closing.|
- A Title on every slide
- Consistent graphics throughout the presentation
- Brief bullet points only on slides
- Notes: The bullet points in your presentation will be supported by relevant details in the Notes section of the slides, which contain the actual words you would say to Myra as you present each slide.
How to Excel at Briefing Senior Executives:
The Rule of Seven (scroll down to article): http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:d1Ww-9teU0wJ:http://ezinearticles.com/%3FThe-Rule-of-Seven%26id%3D364277%2B%EF%82%A7+http://ezinearticles.com/%3FThe-Rule-of-Seven%26id%3D364277&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us%3AIE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7GGLL_en&hl=en&ct=clnk
Assignment: UMUC Haircuts Stage 4: Create a presentation that includes:
- An executive briefing in PowerPoint covering the following topics: (each bullet below should be represented by at least one slide)
- Provide a title slide to introduce the project, including appropriate information about the ‘who, what, when and why’ of the presentation
- Identify the Strategy for Competitive Advantage and the Business Process to be Improved
- Identify the IT Solution you chose to improve the process and help UMUC Haircuts with their strategy for competitive advantage
- Give an overview of IT solution components, IT Skills/Services & Business/Management Resources (NOTE: to obtain the most possible points in this area, a graphic representation of the solution is required – See Grading Rubric below)
- State how the solution will improve the business process
- Explain the business benefits of the solution (benefits in addition to improving the process itself) and how the solution will help achieve the strategy for competitive advantage
- Review the IT considerations you determined to be most important in the Table in Stage 3. This would include any consideration that you ranked with high importance. Select up to 5 that you consider to be the MOST important. Briefly explain:
- the impact on UMUC Haircuts – what the considerations are/mean,
- what they mean to the UMUC Haircuts business, and
- what needs to be done about them
- Identify the major risks associated with your proposed solution and what should be done to mitigate those risks (prevent them from occurring). You should include at least 3 risks (business risks, technical risks, project risks, security risks or implementation risks, etc.) and corresponding mitigation strategies.
- Summary/Conclusion and Closing: Brief review and final sales pitch!
- Notes: Details Section of Presentation
- The bullet points in your presentation will be supported by relevant details in the Notes section of the slides, which contain the actual words you would say to Myra as you present each slide. Since you cannot actually present the slides in person, the Notes will show what you would actually say. This is an important part of your presentation. If you were writing a paper, the content would be in the notes and the PowerPoint slides would be the outline.
- Presentations with limited or no “Notes” will receive much lower grades, because the bullets should not tell the whole story.
- While use of external resources (resources other than those provided in the classroom) is not required, your presentation may be strengthened by incorporating research. Remember to correctly cite and reference any sources.
- Any direct quotes should be indicated within the slide text with appropriate quotation marks and an in-text citation (however direct quotes should be short and used sparingly, if at all).
- Complete references for all sources should be included in the corresponding Notes section. Paraphrased material can just be referenced within the Notes section of the slides without an in-text citation on the slide. This deviates from APA style but keeps the slides more readable.
Note: Do not include your resources on a separate slide in the presentation. They need to be included in the notes section of the slide to which they pertain.