1) Why did HBO offer an OTT streaming service?
- What are the economics?
- Pluses and minuses?
2) Why hasn’t ESPN offered a comparable service?
a) Discuss ESPN’s revenue model.
b) Discuss similar revenue models from other industries.
3) How should Comcast respond?
- What should Comcast do?
- How important is HBO to Comcast?
- Does Comcast have any leverage over HBO?
- Is unbundling simply a threat, or is it an opportunity for Comcast?
4) Online Streaming and Unbundling
- Why rush to consider OTT streaming services?
- Why do firms bundle products and services?
- Is bundling bad for consumers?
- Which products should form a bundle?
- Implications for Comcast?
- Are skinny bundles a good idea?
5) The Future of Television
m) What is it about TV that makes unbundling so difficult?
n) Will players from outside the industry disrupt TV?
o) Is Apple a threat to Comcast or a potential partner (or both)?
6) Lessons & Takeaways
- Digital tech as a threat and opportunity
- Bundling as a form of price discrimination
- Must understand economics, motivations, strengths and weaknesses of various competitors as you craft a strategy.